The Desire To Inspire

Its amazing how many cares disappear when you decide to be something, not someone. - Coco Chanel

It all began late 2012 when the current Residence Committee was preparing to leave their term of office. Never did I think that I would want to be an example to others especially at Tshwane University of Technology because I thought that I am nothing but a number to the institution. I needed to change that. No one knew me but the strong-willed black girl in me was ready to show the world what I have to offer.

I am misunderstood by many and my actions are questionable but that never stopped me from showing my true potential. I wasn't the type to make things happen because all my life I depended on my mother to make things happen for me while I enjoyed the benefits. All of that needed to change, I'm not growing any younger and the world has no mercy for people who rely on others for success and happiness.

Throughout the year I met new and interesting people of which some are no longer in my life for various reasons. I cried, I played and I became me for the very first time.I learnt how to be independent and strong. I learnt how to be confident and be well spoken. I also learned that the world doesn't revolve around me as my parents made me believe.

My time here so far is unbelievable. I'm breaking my own boundaries. Since being elected as the Vice-Chairperson of my residence, my student life hasn't been quite the same. Being a leader isn't the easiest of things. I have found mentors who are helping me connect with other young aspiring leaders. Being in a leadership position has shown me that its not always going to be about me. It is hard to balance everything and a result I have had to make personal sacrifices to fulfil my duties however my studies come first. Time management is a challenge on its own but with help I can priorities accordingly. I have learnt that it takes a great deal to say no but a leader doesn't force situations.

I am growing and accomplishing more than I had imagined. Someone once said to me that even though at times I feel like this isn't what I had planned, I wouldn't be who I am had I been at a different institution. Now, I am more confident in myself and the things I do. I carry my head up high and smile even when all I want to do is cry. Its not easy trying to keep it together when everyone is waiting to see your downfall but with Gods grace I  have endured the worst. I am committed to the work I do, my sense of humour has become better, I have developed a more positive attitude towards life and my ability to inspire completes it all.

P.S if you obey all the rules you forget to have fun ;)

@AndyPouts - Twitter

Comments

  1. Wow #teary eyed# you even quoted my saying. Im blessed to have a friend like you, you have not yet lived, until you've internally died and you my friend, are now living, you the best, continue to be a blessing to everyone but most importantly to yourself, because you are a blessing to me, I LOVE ANDILE 'ANDYPOUTS' SPHESIHLE MNGUNI, YOU THE BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts